I know you guys are probably getting really BORED with my rants about the replacement screw for our cider press…too bad…this is my blog! (Ha-ha Hee-hee in my best egomaniacal laugh…) Anyway, thanks for stopping by. I have never done this before and thought it might interest my fellow nerds…
A couple days ago I turned a pretty fair cylinder from a chunk of beech a friend gave me. I say “pretty fair” because an expert turner I’m not. Most of my turning experience has been making tool handles and such. This morning I laid out the helix for the 2 TPI threads using 1/2 inch electrical tape. The tape was spaced just far enough apart for a saw kerf. And saw I did! Pretty tough going with the little backsaw in seasoned beech. The 1/4 inch depth for the kerf was marked out with tape as well.

20131011-140125.jpg
Then, after unwrapping the tape, the real fun began! Chopping and paring the threads with chisels is slow going. I penciled in the center of the threads by eye then pared almost to the line. I only have 4 threads so far with 24 more to go! When I tried them in the nut I made last week the fit was good…a little tight, but good. I’d rather have it a little tight initially so I can trim to a better fit. By the way, the unthreaded portion in the left of the picture is waste that will be trimmed off later.

20131011-140910.jpg

Advertisements