Finished the press screw today. Actually, I finished chopping the threads yesterday.

20131015-161142.jpg
Today I fitted the screw to the nut. Two intersecting 3/4 inch holes were drilled through the head of the screw and squared up with a paring chisel. Then steel reinforcing rings were forged and fitted to the head.

20131015-162603.jpg The nut was attached to the upper crossmember of the press with two 1/4 inch lag screws and the replacement screw was given a couple coats of beeswax-linseed oil.

20131015-163355.jpg

20131015-163500.jpg

20131015-163534.jpg

20131015-163602.jpg
I’ve got some apples chilling for later this week!

Advertisements